Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Don't Like South Park

There, I said it. I am finally committing this act of pop culture blasphemy. I’m not trying to be contrarian. I want to like popular shows. I’m a big follower in many ways. If everyone else jumped off a cliff, I’d be yelling “Geronimo!” faster than you can say, “I’m Rick James, bitch.”

I like Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Baseketball was classic. I just can't watch South Park longer than 15 minutes because it’s too slow and repetitive. Consider the latest episode about Indiana Jones being raped by George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. I counted six scenes where a character denied the “incident,” then acknowledged it, then demanded payback. The premise is so outrageous it’s funny. But c’mon, six scenes of the exact same thing? Also, both South Park and Family Guy emphasize shock value at the expense of wit. Cartman’s zinger, “I’d rather be Chinese than a nation of unethical dick-shooters,” was the only line that stood out.

The Simpsons is rapid fire. About every fourth line is witty. Even a crappy scene will quickly transition to something else. You get the feeling that writers leave out a dozen lines/scenes per episode. With South Park, they think up one funny premise and try to stretch it out for 30 minutes.

Someone please explain to me what is so freakin’ great about South Park. This is a plea for help! I hate feeling left out. Like Patrick Bateman says in American Psycho, “Because I want to fit in.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with the whole. "Shock Value" remark. It's like Stone and Parker are loosing even their die hard fan boysthat have stuck with them from day one; so they just come up with this over the top worse than degrading crap to what? Get their name out there? What again? Let's face it they had their 15 mins, I think it's safe to say it's done, they did it with basketball, they did it with the South Park movie, and let's not forget Team America, GREAT! and that may be considered one of the most foul, racist, degrading movies to date, but since it was done with puppets, it's funny! But I digress...
I'm one for good old dick and fart joke humor but Stone and Parker are aged and they are just trying to pull every string to try and get back some of their fan base, but all I have to say is:

South Park Rape skit: EPIC FAIL!

Sorry guys, your run is over, it's been fun. And I quote Nelson from the simpsons:
"Ha Ha"...

Unknown said...

Brevity is the soul of wit. South Park relies on situations for humor; and situations can't be brief. Simpsons relies mostly on dialogue. The funniest thing about the diaologe in South Park are the voices. And voices can't be brief either! So you're right on, Tom. Once again. I'm writing your name in on the fourth. Or I would if I was voting.

Andrew Brewer said...

I think South Park lost it's allure about the same time that farts became more gross than funny.

They should stick to movies. Team America is a classic.

Louie said...

no one will argue that South Park has better lines than Simpsons. But i will argue that South Park is consistently funnier than 95% of the other regular sitcoms out there.